The intensive Higher Education mental health awareness and skills course was created by MHFA England in consultation with leading student mental health charity Student Minds. It was piloted in 16 universities and evaluated by the University of Chester.
This one day course qualifies you as a Higher Education MHFA Champion. It is designed to give you:
- A deeper understanding of the issues that relate to student and staff mental health
- Skills to spot early signs of mental ill health
- Confidence to signpost someone to support – whether that’s through self-help resources, university counselling services, the NHS, or a mix
- Knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness
MHFA England value this course at £200 per person. However I am able to offer this at discounted rates. Please check the Upcoming Dates section for details or contact me for a quote for in house training at your organisation.
What to expect
We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
The day includes a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. You will get a Higher Education MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it.
When you complete the day you’ll get a certificate to say you are a Higher Education MHFA Champion.
- Mental Health First Aid
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for depression and anxiety
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Suicide figures and risk factors
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- First aid for self-harm
- Eating disorders
- First aid for eating disorders
- First aid for psychosis
- Building a mentally healthy higher education community